First Painted Minis Cranked Out

Now that I have a painting rack and paints, I started doing some mini painting.  Here are the results of my first set of minis that I’ve ever done.

The roaches and rat are from Mice and Mystics, a story driven board game that I’m playing through with a group of friends.

Mice and Mystics: Plaid Hat Games

I wanted to get some experience in as we are going to have a painting party where we paint our main characters and the enemies.

 

The other character is my Pathfinder character which I’m playing with a different group of friends.

Laser Cut Paint Rack for Miniature Painting

I’m starting to get into painting miniatures, so I needed a paint rack for my paints.  After a little research online, I decided to design and build my own.

 

I designed based on seeing this picture which I liked

Paint Tray from Cool Mini Or Not Thread

 

So I did some measurements and went into Draftsight and began designing

After a few iterations on the pylons I was decently happy with the results and glued it together and loaded it up with paints.

 

I’ve attached the files, both the DWG design file, and a dxf that has them loaded up on a 12×24 panel for laser cutting.  The file uploaded is not exactly what I have, it is more a rev2 with some changes to the tabs and holes for a better fit, so use at your own risk!  I recommend you measure your wood, mine was 5.7-5.8mm instead of the 6mm advertised thus I had to adjust holes and such.  In the laser panel file I have a few small pieces whose purpose is to test your wood thickness, its in the bottom left corner of the bottom panel.

>> Paint Rack DWG Download <<

>> Laser Cut Panels DXF Dowload <<

 

King of Tokyo Box Insert

Finished my second game insert, King of Tokyo, with the help of a friend’s laser cutter.

First I mocked up blocks for the different pieces, then I moved things around until I liked the fit, and finally put in walls to finish the floor plan.

After the floor plan was done, I made notches in the base and walls for connections. Then I pulled out out the 4 outer walls, built up them up, then laser cut them with the base and test fit them.

After I had the base and outer walls finished, I started on the internal ones.  It took a few revisions for some of the walls before I got them right.  Finally I designed a cover so the board fits in the middle.  I’m not super happy with how the top cover turned out, but it’s still a step in the right direction.

One interesting thing, the laser makes the foam pull back from the edges.  This isn’t great for long flat contacts, but for joints, it works really well because you can put the tip of your glue into the gap and fill it.

 

I’ve attached the DWG file in case anyone wants to modify or make one them self.