First Painted Minis Cranked Out


Now that I have a painting rack and paints, I started doing some mini painting.  Here are the results of my first set of minis that I’ve ever done.

The roaches and rat are from Mice and Mystics, a story driven board game that I’m playing through with a group of friends.

Mice and Mystics: Plaid Hat Games

I wanted to get some experience in as we are going to have a painting party where we paint our main characters and the enemies.


The other character is my Pathfinder character which I’m playing with a different group of friends.

Laser Cut Paint Rack for Miniature Painting


I’m starting to get into painting miniatures, so I needed a paint rack for my paints.  After a little research online, I decided to design and build my own.


I designed based on seeing this picture which I liked

Paint Tray from Cool Mini Or Not Thread


So I did some measurements and went into Draftsight and began designing


After a few iterations on the pylons I was decently happy with the results and glued it together and loaded it up with paints.

RackSide RackSide2RackFront


I’ve attached the files, both the DWG design file, and a dxf that has them loaded up on a 12×24 panel for laser cutting.  The file uploaded is not exactly what I have, it is more a rev2 with some changes to the tabs and holes for a better fit, so use at your own risk!  I recommend you measure your wood, mine was 5.7-5.8mm instead of the 6mm advertised thus I had to adjust holes and such.  In the laser panel file I have a few small pieces whose purpose is to test your wood thickness, its in the bottom left corner of the bottom panel.



Paint Rack DWG


Laser Panels



King of Tokyo Box Insert

Finished my second game insert, King of Tokyo, with the help of a friend’s laser cutter.

First I mocked up blocks for the different pieces, then I moved things around until I liked the fit, and finally put in walls to finish the floor plan.

After the floor plan was done, I made notches in the base and walls for connections. Then I pulled out out the 4 outer walls, built up them up, then laser cut them with the base and test fit them.

After I had the base and outer walls finished, I started on the internal ones.  It took a few revisions for some of the walls before I got them right.  Finally I designed a cover so the board fits in the middle.  I’m not super happy with how the top cover turned out, but it’s still a step in the right direction.

One interesting thing, the laser makes the foam pull back from the edges.  This isn’t great for long flat contacts, but for joints, it works really well because you can put the tip of your glue into the gap and fill it.


I’ve attached the DWG file in case anyone wants to modify or make one them self.

Boardgame Insert!

Castle Dice Insert - 2

Well I’ve gotten into boardgames recently and started going to an almost weekly group called the Janesville Pegheads.

Anyways, I have a few games, and many have terrible inserts and organization.  One of these games is Castle Dice and it’s expansion.  So I watched a few videos on using foamcore and started to do my own.

Pretty good results, but one thing that really bothered me was the bottom dice tray, I miscalculated and thought I could fit all the gold in its spot but I couldn’t so it had to be put in another spot, but it doesn’t make it look that bad because I also have the solo dice in with the land dice so it doesn’t look that out of place to have a solo dice in another spot.


I think I might try and design and laser cut the next design, probably for King of Tokyo and some of it’s expansions.

Detroit Makerfaire 2014

I apologize for the mismash of this post, I don’t have a good way to do a huge photodump like this.  Anyways, here are the pics and video I took from Makerfaire Detroit 2014


Stuff from Element14

Been busy as of late, not much to report project-wise besides a version of my edge-lit lighted display for my Mom’s B-Day

Beyond that, I got some sweet stickers from Element14 and picked up a few things from the parent company Newark.


Here are the Element14 stickers

Element14 and Tesla Stickers



And the electronic components I picked up

Element14 Swag


The electronics include:


Basys 2 development board

The Basys 2 development kit is a Spartan3 FPGA development kit.  It’s been a long time since I programmed an FPGA and I’m looking forward to getting back into it.


An FPGA differs from a microcontroller as you are reprogramming hardware as opposed to just writing a program for your micro to step through and follow.  An FPGA is made up of repgorammable logic cells, usually look up tables or LUTs.  The code (unless otherwise specified) happens in parallel as opposed to step by step in a microcontroller, though you can specify clock edge actions.  You typically code in VHDL or Verilog.  Back in the day, we also used virtual gates like and, or, and nots which the compiler would churn down into those look up tables just the same as VHDL or Verilog.  It looks like that functionality seems to be by the way-side now, the last time I looked at Xilinx’s software I didn’t see an option to put down gates and wire them.


Also a micro HDMI to standard for my Beaglebone Black


And lastly a jumper kit


I don’t have exact plans for what I’m going to do with the Basys 2, FPGA’s really excel at memory intensive tasks like image and video processing.  Eventually it might be nice to re-do my school project of a resistive touch pad that draws on a monitor connected via VGA, but I might start a bit slower and do a simple combo lock switched in using the slide switches and buttons.  I’ll post the project and code when its finished.


Now to prepare for Detroit Makerfaire with Ben Heck!  I’ll make sure to post pics